Bay of Laganas, Zakynthos: Attention to turtles at sea!
This spring the Coast Guard of Zakynthos has issued a regulation adopting best practices for turtle watching boat trips in the bay of Laganas within the National Marine Park of Zakynthos.
Taking this opportunity, ARCHELON informs us of everything we need to know before we board on a sea turtle watching boat trip, in order to avoid disturbing the animals in this area.
1. When piloting a vessel in the bay respect the “no go areas” and the 6 nautical knots speed limit where boats are allowed
2. A maximum of 2 vessels observing one sea turtle at a time, is allowed. Boats should have very low speed – less than 2 nautical knots – during the observation. All other vessels must be at least 45 meters away.
3. When aboard and observing make sure there is silence and maximum observation time is 10 minutes.
4. Turtles at sea must always be approached from the side and observation vessels must keep a 15 meters distance from the animal at all times.
5. Sea turtles live in the wild- please avoid feeding and touching animals
The volunteers of ARCHELON are present in the area collecting data for the reproduction and the population of loggerhead sea turtles, informing visitors on protection measures collaborate with the coast Guard and the Management Agency of the Marine Park.
Support our efforts by adopting a sea turtle HERE.